For the Tempeh:
225g block of tempeh
500ml of boiling water
1 tablespoon RAW Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 teaspoon tamari or soy sauce
3 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons maple syrup
60ml vegetable stock
For the salad and dressing:
1 bunch of kale (about 10 stalks), washed and chopped
4 tablespoons RAW Whole Sesame Tahini
pinch of sea salt
juice of ½ a lemon
½ teaspoon garlic powder
3–4 tablespoons of warm water
RAW Chilli and Jalapeño Sauerkraut
1. Place the block of tempeh in a shallow dish or bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Cover with a lid or plate so the tempeh can steam for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together the tamari, dijon, maple syrup, and broth. Set aside.
3. Prepare your salad dressing by whisking together the tahini, lemon juice, garlic powder, and warm water. Set aside.
4. After the tempeh is finished steaming, pat it dry. Cut it into 8 slices and then cut those slices diagonally to make a total of 16 triangles.
5. Heat a large pan over medium with 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the pieces of tempeh to the pan, trying not to overlap them. Let them cook undisturbed for 5 minutes, then flip each piece and cook for another 5 minutes.
6. At this point, your tempeh should be browned and slightly crispy. Now add the maple dijon sauce to the pan and cook for 5-10 more minutes. Spoon the marinade over the tempeh to help saturate it while it cooks. The sauce will thicken up and caramelize- stop cooking before it burns and sticks to the pan. Remove from the pan and set aside.
7. In the same pan you cooked the tempeh in, add the kale along with a splash of water. Cover and steam until slightly wilted.
8. To assemble, divide the steamed kale between 2 or 3 dishes. Top with the tempeh, avocado, and sauerkraut. Drizzle the tahini dressing over each serving and enjoy!